Thought From the Edge
About This Blog: This is a medium to post book excerpts and my own thoughts.
OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
You may download Open-Source software completely free of any license fees. Install it on as many PCs as you like. Use it for any purpose - private, educational, government and public administration, commercial...
Pass on copies free of charge to family, friends, students, employees, etc.
Anything I have listed here is software I use myself and have checked out for, in some cases, years. The links are to the official websites only. Once there, follow the links to get what you need. There are no charges, no fees ever.
OpenOffice is a suite of tools that equals MS Office. I use it for writing, and I have written more than ten books with it.
· Writer; a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
· Calc; a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyze, and present your data.
· Impress; the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations.
· Draw; lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
· Base; lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and more.
· Math; lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface.
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://www.openoffice.org/
Puppy Linux enables you to save money while doing more work, even allowing you to do magic by recovering data from destroyed PCs or by removing malware from Windows. Now that vista and XP are no longer supported this OS can replace them. It is supported fully, and all updates are free.
· CD Executable installs from within your old Vista or XP OS.
· Full OS
· No Charge for updates or more copies for other machines.
· Runs on older or newer systems. Even systems under 1 gig of ram.
· Includes a wide range of applications: wordprocessors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games, image editors and many utilities. Extra software in the form of dotpets. There is a GUI Puppy Software Installer included.
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://puppylinux.org/
Ubuntu is a popular Linux OS that can completely replace the Windows operating system on your machine. I use Ubuntu to do all of my computer related tasks. It is better, faster and more reliable than the Windows OS I once used.
· Bootable disk with installer. As easy as installing any other software. Just make your choices, answer the questions, that's it. The installer does the rest.
· Software, Software and more software. Ubuntu comes with a built-in software installer, manager. Pick the software you want, and it will install it and set it up for you. OpenOffice, Gimp, Audacity, Games, Browsers and much more.
· Updates are free. No charge for other machines. No licensing fees. Nothing at all. It is free and has long term support.
· Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus and many other manufacturers now use Ubuntu.
· 32 bit, 64 bit, or both are available.
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.ubuntu.com/
Gimp. Gimp is my graphics program of choice. I have paid the big bucks for other top name image/graphics programs, but I have not been as happy with those products as I have been with Gimp. I use it for all of my graphic/image needs. Book covers, Illustrations, in fact all the graphics on this site were made with Gimp.
· Photo Enhancment. Numerous digital photo imperfections can be easily compensated for using GIMP. Many filters are included. Retouching, Resizing, all the top features you would expect to find are here.
· File Formats. Gimp can read and save to all the top image formats.
· Airbrush, Bucket, Pen, Brush, many other applicators included and easily used for your image work.
· Blur, Soften, Clear backgrounds, Dozens of filters, Layers and much more. The only Image Processing softwaree I use
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: https://www.gimp.org/